- The Republic of Albania is a country in the south eastern part of Europe bordering Greece, Macedonia, Kosovo and Montenegro
- Across the Strait of Otranto, Italy is only 72 kilometers away from the Albanian coastline
Tourism in Albania
- Although the natural pre-requisites for a positive tourism image of Albania do exist, the country is still not visible on the world map of tourism destinations.
- Albania has 350 kilometers of coastline, a Mediterranean climate with impressive mountains and lakes as well as numerous interesting cultural places.
- According to official figures of the UN World Tourism Organization the number of overnight visitors to Albania had been between 2.5 and 3 million over the last four years.
- The NTO (National Tourism Organization) of Albania currently uses the slogan “Albania – a new Mediterranean love” – but with the current shortage of modern tourism destinations it will be difficult to be heard.
- The main reasons for the actual Albanian tourism situation are the lack of accommodation facilities and holiday resorts with an inappropriate number of rooms and the insufficient financial resources and development skills of the public authorities.